Craft Platforms: Case studies 邹柳兰蓝染-Zhou Milan Blue dyeJune 17, 2020 2020-11-15 9:30
Craft Platforms: Case studies 邹柳兰蓝染-Zhou Milan Blue dye
Milan Zhou - a blue dye artist
- Uses social media: Wechat, Tiktok
- Film short video on Wechat and Tiktok
- Mobile phone plays an important role in her craft such as recording videos
- Without internet marketing and online stores, her art relies on oral communication among friends and wechat.
Figure 1 : Milan’s studio
Zhou Milan is 45 years old, a Han nationality, working in coastal areas such as Guangdong before 2017. After returning to Baishuidong Village, she was influenced by Dr. Jiangjun Ruan who graduated from Chiba University in Japan and studied regional culture. Then she started working as a tour guide while doing blue dyeing. She said that doing blue dyeing was her favorite thing in her life. Milan usually make some blue dyed artworks to display or sell, such as pillows and hanging pictures. In addition, she also provides tourists with blue dyeing experience courses, teaching them to dye cloth, for all ages of experience.
DIGITAL ‘TOUCH POINTS’
Use of Digital equipment
Milan zhou has a mobile phone, she uses it to film Wechat videos and tiktok videos. She used to only use wechat, recently, she was taught to use tiktok hand in hand and influenced by some young people around her.
Use of Social Media
- Wechat and TiktokMilan Zhou likes to use Wechat the most.
Figure 2 : Milan’s wechat news
Milan often sends news on wechat to communicate with customers and friends.
Figure 2 (left) Production process
Figure 2 (middle) product display
Figure 2 (right) Blue dye activity record
Figure 3 : Milan’s Tiktok news
The challenges of applying digital platforms in Milan’s craft activities
She doesn’t know about new media, computer technology, marketing technology and how to use them.
The digital platforms involved in Milan’s making and marketing
- Every year, she goes to Southeast Guizhou to learn how to dye cloth and bring back the dyes.
- There is no internet marketing or online stores, just the word-of-mouth communication between friends and the spread of Wechat circle of friends. Everyone knows that Milan is doing this.
- Usually there will be some tourists and children to experience dyeing cloth. Both boys and girls, the youngest being only 4 years old, have the same proportion of men and women. Team fee is ¥50 per person, if there are only 2 or 3 people, it is ¥100.
Figure 4: Children are experiencing blue dye
Please visit the following site to know more about Milan Zhou:
Craftplatforms.org has been produced by the project research team at Queen Mary University of London, UK, and Hunan University, China.
Contact E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Nick Bryan-Kinns
School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
Queen Mary University of London
London E1 4NS
Prof. Hao Tan
School of Design, Hunan University
Yuelu Mountain, Changsha